BRAINS AT WORK!
Biographies ~ Fiction
Adventure ~ Mysteries
How to Build a Skateboard Park
How to Make and Save Money
... it's all on the shelves in our library...
CHECK US OUT!
1. Enter the library in a quiet manner.
2. Respect others and their properties.
3. Obtain permission from a teacher before using the Internet, before printing from a computer, and before taking an Accelerated Reader test.
4. Follow all school rules.
READ! READ! READ!
Policy for Overdue, Damaged, and Lost Books
If a student has one or more overdue books, he/she will not be
allowed to borrow any additional books until the overdue books are
returned and he/she will not receive their report card for that marking
The loan period is two weeks.
If a book is damaged beyond repair, the student will have to replace the book or pay the replacement cost.
If a book is lost, the student will have to replace it or pay the replacement cost.
Accelerated Reader Program
To improve the reading ability of our students and instill in them a lifelong love of reading.
The Accelerated Reader Program is a computerized reading management program that helps educators more efficiently manage literature-based reading. Students read books from a book list. Each book on the list has a point value based on reading level and number of words. After reading the book, the student takes a test on the computer and receives immediate reinforcement. Every student can read books at his/her level and enjoy the benefits of such.
The Accelerated Reader Program
1. Motivates the students to read more and better books. Students want to read more challenging books to get more points.
2. Increases higher order thinking skills such as evaluation, synthesis, and analysis.
3. Allows students to read books they enjoy from the wide variety of titles.
4. Provides immediate feedback in the form of tests, praise, and prizes.
5. Eliminates the need for book reports.
This program is based on the theory that student reading ability increases through the reading process itself. This program is nurtured by providing school time for the students to select library books, read, and take tests. The point system motivates the students to read more books. Other incentives add interest and enthusiasm. These include prizes, certificates, and parties.
After School Program
The VMS Library is open after school Monday-Friday from 3:00-4:00 PM for students to work on school-related assignments, check out books, take AR quizzes, or read quietly. Computers are available for research and approved websites, such as KidBiz, TeenBiz, and IXL. No games or email allowed.